25 Fun Things to do in Zeeland
Zeeland is one of the provinces in The Netherlands, which is perfect for a vacation. It consists of islands and peninsulas. There’s so much to see and do here, that we keep coming back. Whether for a weekend getaway or a vacation or on road trips. Here’s our list of 25 things to do in Zeeland that we have compiled from all our visits over the years.
25 Things to do in Zeeland: Food
- 1. Eat Kibbeling or a Lekkerbekje. It’s braided fried cod, which is in big pieces (kibbeling) of still in fish form (lekkerbekje). You can eat both dishes all over The Netherlands, but so close to the sea you have the freshest fish.
- 2. Eat a Zeeuwse bolus. A typical local delicacy, a sweet sugar rich bun. Sometimes cinnamon is added. When in Zeeland try this pastry at one of the many bakeries.
Best Things to do in Zeeland: Beach
- 3. Go to the Beach. Zeeland has many beautiful beaches on its coastline. So go there for lying on the beach, building a sandcastle or to fly a kite. When the weather is less nice, go for a long beach walk.
- 4. Swim in the North Sea. When on the beach, going for a swim in the Sea is easy. Watch out which color flag is flying on that particular beach, to see if it’s safe to go in the water.
- 5. Sit down at a beach club. There are numerous beach clubs on the beaches in Zeeland. Pick one, sit down and have a drink or two. Eat something and watch the sun set in the sea. Not all beach clubs are there all year long. Some are broken down from October till February.
- 6. Hike along the Dunes. From on top of the dunes you have beautiful vistas on the beach and sea. On some are paths, follow these for a great hike.
- 7. Visit Gyrocopter Aviation in Arnemuiden. Admire the gyrocopters in the hangar.
- 8. Visit the Wings to Victory Museum in Arnemuiden. Tells the story about the air war above the southwest of The Netherlands during the Second World War.
- 9. Visit the Stadhuismuseum Zierikzee. Tells the story of the city of Zierikzee. Situated in the old city hall.
- 10.Visit the Zeeuws maritime muZEEum in Vlissingen. About the maritime history of Zeeland and Vlissingen.
- 11. Visit the Zeeuws museum in Middelburg. Situated in an old abbey, it tells the history of Zeeland.
What to do in Zeeland: Tours
- 12. Explore Zierikzee on a self-guided city walk. Zierikzee is a beautiful city with a harbor and beautiful old buildings.
- 13. Go on a boat tour on the Oosterschelde National Park. The Oosterschelde is an estuary and is bordered by the Zeelandbrug and the Oosterscheldekering.
- 14. Make a city-walk through Middelburg. The Capitol of the province of Zeeland and a beautiful city.
- 15. A tour through Fort Rammekens. The oldest sea fort of Western Europe in the town of Ritthem.
- 16. Hike the wallenroute in Retranchement. A beautiful route over the ramparts that were built during the 16th century.
- 17. A tour through the city-hall of Middelburg. An late-gothic style building from the 15th century.
- 18. A boat tour in Middelburg. See the historical city of Middelburg from a different angle, from the water.
Things to do in Zeeland NL: Attractions
- 19. Deltapark Neeltje Jans. A theme park where you can learn all about the Delta works, the disaster of 1953, sea animals and enjoy the waterpark.
- 20. Victoria Doolhof in Eede. Almost in Belgium, but there’s a labyrinth of 8000 m².
- 21. The Arsenaal in Vlissingen. A sea aquarium and pirates park.
- 22. Climb the Lange Jan tower in Middelburg. Part of the city-hall, you can climb up and enjoy the view on Middelburg.
What to do in Zeeland Holland: Other
- 23. Drive over the Delta Works. You can drive over the Brouwersdam or the Oosterscheldekering.
- 24. Zeelandbrug. Drive over the Zeelandbrug, and go under it on a boat tour.
- 25. The smallest street in The Netherlands in Middelburg. Visit this small street.
Where to stay
We stayed at and enjoyed Droompark Schoneveld in Breskens. 5 Minutes from the beach and with a small swimming pool it’s a fun, family friendly place to rent a holiday cabin.
Roompot Vakantiepark Aquadelta in Bruinisse is also family friendly, close to a small beach and a harbor. There’s a swimming pool, animation team, VR experience and an indoor playground. When staying at the apartments be prepared for noise until late in the evening.
Slot Moermond in Renesse is your chance to stay at an castle and be close to the beach.
Where to eat
We’ve had lunch at Strandpaviljoen Corazon and Beachclub Perry’s on the beach in Renesse. At the Zeeuwse hemel in Zierikzee, which has a beautiful garden to sit down in. Loods tien in Breskens is our all-time favorite beachclub. De Kreeke and ‘t Krekeltje in Eede is perfect with families. ‘t Krekeltje has pancakes and an indoor playground. De Kreeke has delicious food and trampolines in the garden.
Hope you can enjoy these 25 things to do in Zeeland
Looking for other attractions in the South of the Netherlands? Check out our blog about the Hertog Jan Brewery or for the something in the North of the Netherlands, check out cycling on Texel or in the middle? Drive the Tulip Route Flevoland.
Like it? Pin it!
Lisa | Handmade in Israel
Looks like a nice place for a holiday. The beaches look quite different to ours but still very appealing. The Zeelandbrug is an interesting design.
Yes, it’s a very nice place to a holiday. The beaches are fabolous.
This kind of reminds me a bit of Knokke-Heist. I guess no wonder as it is very close, just on the Belgian side of the border 🙂 #wanderfulwednesday
Knokke-Heist is indeed not that far away from Zeeland. Still I haven’t been there yet.
I assume that this province is where New Zealand got it’s name from. I can understand that fresh fish must be great as you are so close to the sea. It does sound like a lovely vaction region.
Yes, it’s where New Zealand has gotten its name from.
Zeeland looks like a lovely place. I like the sound of the interesting museums, but that beach area looks just perfect for a nice summer day. Anywhere with lots of outdoor activities is good with me
There’s plenty of outdoor opportunities in Zeeland. The beach is also perfect for a walk when the weather is less nice.
Great post! I am in the Netherlands for 9 years now but have not seen much of Zeeland. Maybe by summer I can explore safely!
Definitely check out Zeeland then. It’s worth the drive.
Oh these beaches are so lovely ! I love how large & wild they are, it feels like it can never get crowded. i visited once in the winter, I would love to go back again in the summer!
In Zeeland they don’t get that crowded as they do in Zandvoort or Scheveningen.
I haven’t heard of this city before! It looks very pretty to walk around, and it’s great that there are so many things to do there as well.
Yes, Zeeland is a beautiful province of the Netherlands.
Looks like a beautiful, underrated destination for sure! Thanks for putting Zeeland on my radar!
Yes, it’s a popular destination with the Dutch, Belgium people and from Germany, but the rest doesn’t really know this area.
I love this kind of place where you can visit the beach go hiking and eat plenty of tasty food! 🙂
Just out of interest, I heard that New Zealand was named after an area in the Netherlands. Is this the Zeeland that New Zealand was named after!?
Yes, this is the Zeeland where New Zealand is named after.
Those beaches look pretty amazing and I could see myself enjoying a swim there. The Zeelandbrug looks amazing also. What does this bridge link?
The Zeelandbrug links the islands Noord-Beveland and Schouwen-Duiveland with each other.
Looks like a fun place to visit! I’ve been to The Netherlands but not Zeeland. I’ll have to check it out on my next visit (when we can travel again).
Definitely check out Zeeland on your next visit to the Netherlands.
I love the Netherlands, but have never heard of Zeeland before! Saying that, it looks absolutely beautiful and I would love to go when the pandemic is over!!
Zeeland is definitely worth your time on your next visit to the Netherlands.
Zeeland looks like a beautiful region. Lovely post! Is the water warm enough for swimming in the summer?
Yes, you can swim in Summer time, not as warm as further South though. In September the temperature is best.
Love reading your post. I have been to Amsterdam but yet to visit Zeeland. I plan to go to Zeeland when I visit Belgium. This province of the Netherlands is just above Belgium as far as I remember.
Yes, it’s a boven Belgium, so easy to combine with a visit to Belgium.
Zeeland looks like a wonderful place for a family holiday! You can never go wrong with some beaches and walking trails, especially in the summer 🙂
It’s a really good place for a family holiday. Lots of people from the Netherlands, Germany and Belgium go here with there families.
What a beautiful holiday spot! I never knew this place existed, thanks for all the good info on visiting! 🙂
Glad I could get to let you know about Zeeland!
Thanks for introducing Zeeland to me, I love to get to know new places and add to my travel list of places I want to visit. It sounds like the kind of place I would love to visit when finally I get to travel to the Netherlands. Fantastic guide!
I think you will love Zeeland!
Ummi | Ummi Goes Where?
I’ve been to the Netherlands twice, but both times I only stayed in Amsterdam (still a lot I haven’t explored). Maybe I should try to venture south next time. I had never heard of Zeeland before reading this article.
Yes, go outside Amsterdam the next time you’re in the Netherlands. Amsterdam is great, but there’s so much more to see and do in the Netherlands.
Linda (LD Holland)
We will definitely have to plan to visit Zeeland when we finally plan a longer trip to The Netherlands. There is such a great variety in the things to do in Zeeland. A tour might be a good way to start. Good to know there are some good inside options for rainy days too.
Lydia C. Lee
Just loved Holland – we only had three days so not enough for even just Amsterdam. Really hoping to get back at some point. #WeekendWanderlust
Rob + Ann @TravelLatte
Fantastic list! We have not been to Zeeland, and probably won’t get to this year, but we’re holding on to this for future reference. We totally see a Dutch beach vacation in our future!!
Great tips! My aunt lives in Zeeland and I should visit, going to pin this for my future trip there!