Zeeland is one of the provinces in The Netherlands, which is perfect for a vacation. It consists of islands and peninsulas. There’s so much to see and do here, that we keep coming back. Whether for a weekend getaway or a vacation. Here’s our list of 25 things to do in Zeeland that we have compiled from all our visits over the years.
25 Things to do in Zeeland: Food
- 1. Eat Kibbeling or a Lekkerbekje. It’s braided fried cod, which is in big pieces (kibbeling) of still in fish form (lekkerbekje). You can eat both dishes all over The Netherlands, but so close to the sea you have the freshest fish.
- 2. Eat a Zeeuwse bolus. A typical local delicacy, a sweet sugar rich bun. Sometimes cinnamon is added. When in Zeeland try this pastry at one of the many bakeries.
Best Things to do in Zeeland: Beach
- 3. Go to the Beach. Zeeland has many beautiful beaches on its coastline. So go there for lying on the beach, building a sandcastle or to fly a kite. When the weather is less nice, go for a long beach walk.
- 4. Swim in the North Sea. When on the beach, going for a swim in the Sea is easy. Watch out which color flag is flying on that particular beach, to see if it’s safe to go in the water.
- 5. Sit down at a beach club. There are numerous beach clubs on the beaches in Zeeland. Pick one, sit down and have a drink or two. Eat something and watch the sun set in the sea. Not all beach clubs are there all year long. Some are broken down from October till February.
- 6. Hike along the Dunes. From on top of the dunes you have beautiful vistas on the beach and sea. On some are paths, follow these for a great hike.
- 7. Visit Gyrocopter Aviation in Arnemuiden. Admire the gyrocopters in the hangar.
- 8. Visit the Wings to Victory Museum in Arnemuiden. Tells the story about the air war above the southwest of The Netherlands during the Second World War.
- 9. Visit the Stadhuismuseum Zierikzee. Tells the story of the city of Zierikzee. Situated in the old city hall.
- 10.Visit the Zeeuws maritime muZEEum in Vlissingen. About the maritime history of Zeeland and Vlissingen.
- 11. Visit the Zeeuws museum in Middelburg. Situated in an old abbey, it tells the history of Zeeland.
What to do in Zeeland: Tours
- 12. Explore Zierikzee on a self-guided city walk. Zierikzee is a beautiful city with a harbor and beautiful old buildings.
- 13. Go on a boat tour on the Oosterschelde National Park. The Oosterschelde is an estuary and is bordered by the Zeelandbrug and the Oosterscheldekering.
- 14. Make a city-walk through Middelburg. The Capitol of the province of Zeeland and a beautiful city.
- 15. A tour through Fort Rammekens. The oldest sea fort of Western Europe in the town of Ritthem.
- 16. Hike the wallenroute in Retranchement. A beautiful route over the ramparts that were built during the 16th century.
- 17. A tour through the city-hall of Middelburg. An late-gothic style building from the 15th century.
- 18. A boat tour in Middelburg. See the historical city of Middelburg from a different angle, from the water.
Things to do in Zeeland NL: Attractions
- 19. Deltapark Neeltje Jans. A theme park where you can learn all about the Delta works, the disaster of 1953, sea animals and enjoy the waterpark.
- 20. Victoria Doolhof in Eede. Almost in Belgium, but there’s a labyrinth of 8000 m².
- 21. The Arsenaal in Vlissingen. A sea aquarium and pirates park.
- 22. Climb the Lange Jan tower in Middelburg. Part of the city-hall, you can climb up and enjoy the view on Middelburg.
What to do in Zeeland Holland: Other
- 23. Drive over the Delta Works. You can drive over the Brouwersdam or the Oosterscheldekering.
- 24. Zeelandbrug. Drive over the Zeelandbrug, and go under it on a boat tour.
- 25. The smallest street in The Netherlands in Middelburg. Visit this small street.
Where to stay
We stayed at and enjoyed Droompark Schoneveld in Breskens. 5 Minutes from the beach and with a small swimming pool it’s a fun, family friendly place to rent a holiday cabin.
Roompot Vakantiepark Aquadelta in Bruinisse is also family friendly, close to a small beach and a harbor. There’s a swimming pool, animation team, VR experience and an indoor playground. When staying at the apartments be prepared for noise until late in the evening.
Slot Moermond in Renesse is your chance to stay at an castle and be close to the beach.
Where to eat
We’ve had lunch at Strandpaviljoen Corazon and Beachclub Perry’s on the beach in Renesse. At the Zeeuwse hemel in Zierikzee, which has a beautiful garden to sit down in. Loods tien in Breskens is our all-time favorite beachclub. De Kreeke and ‘t Krekeltje in Eede is perfect with families. ‘t Krekeltje has pancakes and an indoor playground. De Kreeke has delicious food and trampolines in the garden.